Skip to main content

Magical Moment 20, "A Builder"

"A Builder" is a song I wrote for my dad a few years ago. If you know me, then you know my dad is a large source of my strength. He built a contracting business from the ground up and I couldn't be more proud of all he's done. I inherited several things from him; my eyes (green with a brown spot in the right one), my view on work ethic, the curse of incessantly stubbing my toes, my passion, my height, my pride causing me to burn an occasional bridge, and a little bit of never knowing when to rest. You can hear the recording of this song at http://www.myspace.com/maryelizabethgrimes Click on "A Builder" in the right hand box (you may have to scroll up or down) and then click play. I hope you enjoy it.

"A Builder" Words and Music by Elizabeth Grimes Copyright 2009

He gave me a piece of Ireland
I wear it in my eyes.
It’s a treasure I keep within.
He gave me strength to fulfill my dreams
When I’m weary he said, “Try again.”

A dreamer whose dreams always came last
A teacher whose wisdom built from years past
A builder whose work never ceased
And I’m his masterpiece.

A foundation of strength from ashes he built
Through the storms protected me.
And words to live by he preached,
“Do what’s right though no one may see.”

A dreamer whose dreams always came last
A teacher whose wisdom built from years past
A builder whose work never ceased
And I’m his masterpiece.

Years of toil and sweat, who would have guessed
That wouldn’t earn his prize.
After all this time, his greatest success
Was in his daughter’s eyes.

A dreamer whose dreams always came last
A teacher whose wisdom built from years past
A builder whose work never ceased
And I’m his masterpiece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le...

Magical Moment 611, "Great is Your Reward"

Certain sounds and smells can bring to mind a long forgotten memory. For me, certain Bible verses can conjure up a memory, long, but not so forgotten. If you grew up like me, in a private Christian school, attending Sunday School, Awanas, and Vacation Bible School regularly, you're an expert at quoting Scripture. I laugh in the face of Bible "Sword Drill." I can find a Scripture reference in 3 seconds or less. When other's have to think to themselves the sequential order, "Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians..." I'm already at I Thessalonians. It's like growing up bi-lingual. The skill is just there. This morning, I read the first 3 words of a verse, and then finished it quickly by memory. Like the pledge of allegiance, it was automatic. "Trust in the Lord... ...With all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6 When I finished, I ...