Skip to main content

Magical Moment 170, "Taylor"

Yesterday, I discovered that Michaels Arts and Crafts is one of the coolest stores ever. We stopped by so Eddie could pick up some paint supplies and wound up shopping for hours. I walked up and down each aisle grabbing at random items thinking, I should learn to knit or Ethan would love that train puzzle! I made a mental list of to-do projects, including but not limited to: make my own jewelry, learn basic wood-working skills, and hand-craft my own decorative holiday wreathes. To make matters worse, they were having a major clearance sale and I decided to go ahead and start my Christmas shopping.

As I made my way through the store, working my way from hand-carrying a few items, to using a store basket, to exchanging that for a cart, I thought about the things that can spark a child’s creativity (and a grown adult’s too apparently). I felt something under my foot as I took a step forward and realized it was a stray children’s book. When I bent down to pick it up and put it back in its place, I realized there was something very familiar about the bright red cover. I couldn’t place my finger on it, but something about the illustrated, brown bear and his green overalls…a missing a button I think…? It was Corduroy, the bear who lives in a department store! Now I remembered the beloved childhood book. Still straining my murky memory for the details, I read the whole story right in the middle of the shopping aisle, page by page, until I reached the end. Yes of course, he gets bought by little girl, Lisa, and they become best friends!

I smiled to myself as I placed it back on the shelf and naturally thought about my own childhood best friend bear, Taylor. My dad gave matching bears to my older sister and I when he returned from a 2-week training exercise in the National Guard. The bears wore Army camouflage, complete with boots and dog tags. Taylor and I were inseparable. I refused to go to sleep until I had him with me and Lord help my parents if he was ever misplaced for a night. Using child logic, I put Taylor and some of my other beloved animals in a pillowcase on my bed, so that if there ever was a fire in our house, I could grab them easily and carry them to safety – an idea that I passed on to my 3-year old nephew, Ethan. He too can’t leave the house without the comfort of his treasured friends, and rather than driving his mother crazy with a constant armload of stuffed animals, I showed him how to carry all of them in one simple, easy to hold pillowcase.

I still have Taylor to this day. Of course, now the stuffing is protruding through the hole in his ears, his boots are long gone, and a wooden shelf is a more suitable home for him than a pillow case by my bed. But he is still in my room, practically loved to pieces, and among my most treasured possessions. I think everyone has at least one childhood toy like that – more than a toy, but a real, true friend. And it helps shape their personality, individuality, and certainly sparks creativity for the rest of their life.


Ethan stuffing his many animals and blankets into his new pillowcase 
before we go for a walk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi