Skip to main content

Magical Moment 482, "Chase"

A few years ago, I took my nephew, Ethan, to a beach in North Carolina. He was only 3 at the time and it was his first visit to the shore. He was terrified in awe of the ocean, and the endless sand was new and fascinating. But above all, he was most amazed at the seagulls. 

They were everywhere, and so close too! Why, he could almost reach out and grab one! Well, this became a novel idea and it's exactly what he tried to do. Over and over. It didn't take long for him to learn that they fly away awfully fast, and so he had to be ready to run. He would get close, they would get ready for take off, and then just like that, Ethan would be toddling down the shore at full speed trying to catch that tricky bird. When it flew away, another was right there, so near his grasp. He ran up and down the beach all day long and it never occurred to him that he might not catch a seagull after all. And I never told him that it was unlikely.

I hope he always thinks he can catch a seagull. I hope no one ever tells him he can't. And when one seagull slips from his reach, I hope another will always be right there, and he'll go for it with all his might.

Go Ethan, go!


"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream. " 
~Author Unknown

"When the world says, 'Give up,
Hope whispers, 'Try it one more time.'"
~Author Unknown

Comments

What a charming story and inspirational application. I love the quotations you included with this post, too.
Dawn said…
So wonderful. Don't you wish you could carry this mentality with you always?!?
Yes I hope he keeps trying for those seagulls :)
I love that! Watching children try and try again without losing hope or feeling let down. It's beautiful.
Steve Gravano said…
A good live lesson for all of us.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le...

Magical Moment 611, "Great is Your Reward"

Certain sounds and smells can bring to mind a long forgotten memory. For me, certain Bible verses can conjure up a memory, long, but not so forgotten. If you grew up like me, in a private Christian school, attending Sunday School, Awanas, and Vacation Bible School regularly, you're an expert at quoting Scripture. I laugh in the face of Bible "Sword Drill." I can find a Scripture reference in 3 seconds or less. When other's have to think to themselves the sequential order, "Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians..." I'm already at I Thessalonians. It's like growing up bi-lingual. The skill is just there. This morning, I read the first 3 words of a verse, and then finished it quickly by memory. Like the pledge of allegiance, it was automatic. "Trust in the Lord... ...With all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6 When I finished, I ...