Skip to main content

Magical Moment 518, "Not Flowers, Part I"

I've enjoyed experimenting with our new camera. One of my favorite places to take pictures, is a greenhouse at the park where my husband is a National Park Ranger. The other day, I decided to find beauty in all things not flowers. I never thought much of cacti, but I discovered they can really be quite beautiful. (Click to enlarge)

These slouchers made me laugh.


Not your typical prickly cactus, but soft and fuzzy.

This is what I'm used to.

Looked like this cactus was waiving to me.

There were so many different varieties, and they were all so neat!




I'm not sure why, but this might be my favorite picture of all the cacti.


"A creative person has to create. It doesn't really matter what you create. If such a dancer wanted to go out and build the cactus gardens where he could, in Mexico, let him do that. But something creative has to go on."
 -Katherine Dunham (1909-2006)

~~
You might enjoy:

Comments

You do beautiful pics with your new camera! I do love cactus also
Steve Gravano said…
Very interesting cacti photos. I like cactus, they are not as easy to care for as one would think.
Robin said…
Those are very cool pics. I must have missed it in a previous post - what camera are you using now?
Leontien said…
Great pictures BUT why is that first one hanging over like that? Is it a special cactus or is it just trying to find the light at the bottom?

And thank you for your super sweet comment on my 4th of July post!

Leontien
Unknown said…
OK, I have to admit: those are HILARIOUS cacti!!!
Lovely photos of a prickly subject, Elizabeth. So what camera ARE you using these days?
Deborah said…
Wonderful ... and I LOVED the slouchers! LOL
Hilary said…
Those are some fine looking cacti and great pics.
Busy Bee Suz said…
I love these photos...very artistic. Beauty is indeed everywhere!
Texwisgirl, thank you very much! All the great photography blogs out there are starting to inspire me. :)

Kim, Thank you very much. They do make interesting subjects.

Steve, Really? I always thought cactus were the easiest plant!

Robin, Thank you. The camera is a Canon Power Shot S95.

Leontien, I'm not sure about those 2 slouchy cacti. I think they were just top heavy. Lol.

Susan, they made me laugh as well. :)

Deborah, thank you! As did I!

Hilary, thanks so much. :)

Suz, you're right and thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed them. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le...

Magical Moment 611, "Great is Your Reward"

Certain sounds and smells can bring to mind a long forgotten memory. For me, certain Bible verses can conjure up a memory, long, but not so forgotten. If you grew up like me, in a private Christian school, attending Sunday School, Awanas, and Vacation Bible School regularly, you're an expert at quoting Scripture. I laugh in the face of Bible "Sword Drill." I can find a Scripture reference in 3 seconds or less. When other's have to think to themselves the sequential order, "Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians..." I'm already at I Thessalonians. It's like growing up bi-lingual. The skill is just there. This morning, I read the first 3 words of a verse, and then finished it quickly by memory. Like the pledge of allegiance, it was automatic. "Trust in the Lord... ...With all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6 When I finished, I ...