Skip to main content

Magical Moment 631, "Sprout"


Every child needs a "pet" name growing up. Mine was Squeak. My husband's was Skeeter. The thing about these kinds of nick names, is that you can't rush or force them. They just have to come easily, and then they'll stick. 

Occasionally, my creative and sensitive husband (who has posted on this blog several times), will contribute to my grandmother's writer's group. She sent him a list of their weekly topics, and every now and then, if he has something to write, he will. A few weeks ago, the topic was simply, "sprout," and my husband sent the group this sweet haiku:



Sprout- how fast you grew
First snow, first thaw, each brand new
Son, look; I'll show you
-Eddie Grimes




Did you ever have or give a pet name??

Comments

DJan said…
I love that picture of the baby, another "sprout" along with the sweet poem and drawing. Thanks for sharing this magical moment with me. :-)
Your little "sprout" is just adorable. I was "fuzzy" or "buttons" occasionally when I was little. Haven't thought about that for years.
TexWisGirl said…
awwww! i love 'sprout!'

when i was little, we rented a big old farmhouse. for some reason, the dairy farmer/landlord called me 'twiggy'. i wasn't tall or thin, just the youngest of 8.
stephen Hayes said…
When our son was small we called him Mogie for reasons I can no longer remember. I sometimes resort to calling him by this nickname although I doubt my 33 year old son appreciates it.
Dawn said…
Oh My Goodness. I have missed SO much by being away!!!!
So precious.
Hugs to you and your family:)
The Furry Gnome said…
No nicknames here, but children do grow SO fast! Enjoy every moment of it!
Busy Bee Suz said…
I love this so much. Eddie is such a talented writer!
My nickname was brat. HA HA.
Hilary said…
Oh that precious wee one. And sweet Eddie.. that was lovely.

Mine was Stringbean.. believe it or not.
Rick said…
Very creative of your husband! 'Sprout' looks to be living up to his new moniker. Enjoy these years. No matter how many times you're told, it's true - they do grow up so fast!

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le...

Magical Moment 611, "Great is Your Reward"

Certain sounds and smells can bring to mind a long forgotten memory. For me, certain Bible verses can conjure up a memory, long, but not so forgotten. If you grew up like me, in a private Christian school, attending Sunday School, Awanas, and Vacation Bible School regularly, you're an expert at quoting Scripture. I laugh in the face of Bible "Sword Drill." I can find a Scripture reference in 3 seconds or less. When other's have to think to themselves the sequential order, "Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians..." I'm already at I Thessalonians. It's like growing up bi-lingual. The skill is just there. This morning, I read the first 3 words of a verse, and then finished it quickly by memory. Like the pledge of allegiance, it was automatic. "Trust in the Lord... ...With all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6 When I finished, I ...