Skip to main content

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"


Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at Elephant Nature Park!

The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through.


The only elephants in Thailand who do not endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, legs broken and never properly healed, and one is even being weened off methamphetamine that she was given in order to force her to work long hours. These elephants will never return to the wild, but will live happily in a caring and open sanctuary. The ultimate hope is that their offspring can someday be taught to live in the wild.

Elephant Nature Park has rescued over 30 elephants, and has used the support of tourism to help the animals rather than exploit them. We were given jobs such as working in the elephant kitchen preparing food, or cutting corn for them. But we also had a lot of free time, and usually we worked right along side the elephants so we could stop to feed, bath, or take photos with them. (Click to enlarge) 
Left: washing pumpkins and melons, Right: the shelves in the Elephant Kitchen

                          
This elephant showed off for Eddie

Most of the elephants here are gentle and happy to be around visitors. But there is a herd of about 5, that no longer trust humans and their behavior is too unpredictable to be around tourists. We encountered this herd accidentally, led by the elephant appropriately named Naughty Boy, one day on a small work detail. We drove a truck to a remote part of the river to collect sand. When Naughty Boy spotted the group, he led his herd toward us. Our guide immediately got nervous and told us to stay behind the truck. When they kept on, he told us to get in the truck. When they kept on further, he drove the truck towards a nearby tree house and told us to climb up!


Our group taking refuge in a tree house

That was our excitement, but there were plenty of tender moments as well. The 2 new babies stole our hearts. This is 1 month old Dok Mai and her mother. They are kept in confinement until she is strong enough to be with the herd.


And of course, 6 month old Navaan. In this video, he playfully strolls to the river.

And I found some very special elephants that didn't mind me showing my affection.

Mae Perm and Jokia especially touched me. Jokia was blinded with a slingshot by her previous owner. When ENP rescued her, she met Mae Perm who immediately accepted her. They are never apart now. Mae Perm leads her tenderly around the park and does not leave her side for a moment.



Jokia's eye, hard to look at.

This is the park's only "white elephant." She's really only about 30% white elephant. True white elephants must be turned over to Thailand's Royal Family.

The issue of elephant abuse certainly tugged at my heart and I was happy to contribute. These magnificent creatures have changed my life and made me see things in a different way. It has made me more conscious of what I do or don't support with my time and money. And has made me more aware of not only how animals are treated, but all living things.

A friend of mine so eloquently captioned this photo for me, in the words of Sir Mix A Lot...
"I like big butts and I cannot lie."

I'm sure you will see more of my elephant photos in the future!

Comments

Rick said…
Just spent some (actually, a lot of) time here reading all your posts and watching some clips (sorry, couldn't get too far into the elephant abuse clip). Amazing the variety of food at the many markets. What an adventure and experience !

Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth - looking forward to more.
DJan said…
Elephants are wonderful creatures. You are so fortunate to have met all these magnificent beasts. I couldn't watch the first video... why do people think these creatures are not sentient? Of course they are!
This is another great post, Elizabeth. I had to skip the abuse video. Those things take up residence in my mind and are difficult, if not impossible, to erase. I find elephants fascinating and enjoyed hearing about your experiences with them. Are you aware of the elephant sanctuary in Tennessee? Here's a link to their site: http://elephants.com/.
Frank Baron said…
Great shots and commentary on what sounds like a fascinating trip, Elizabeth.

(I too, passed on watching the abuse video.) Kudos to the folks whose work is to care for these magnificent, wounded creatures.
Anonymous said…
Terrible to see... But wonderful that some are at least being helped.
smartcat said…
So horrifically sad to think of these creatures being abused....and how terrific to know that at least some are being given a better life.

Thanks for all the postings.
I just SO toally love elephants. You did the most flippin' COOL TRIP ever!
Hilary said…
That does sounds like the experience of a lifetime, Elizabeth. I couldn't/wouldn't watch the video. I can't fathom cruel treatment of any creature. But your own videos and images are wonderful. I'm thankful that there are people who care for these wonderful beasts. I love the photo of you kissing that sweetie's trunk. And Dok Mai.. utterly adorable.
TexWisGirl said…
how terribly sad that they are abused and mistreated and even tortured. you have had a once in a lifetime experience.
holdingmoments said…
The cruelty shown by some humans to animals is sickening and heartbreaking.
A hard video to watch.
Beautiful wow amazing photos
sage said…
They are magnificent... I wish I had visited this rescue place when I was in Thailand--the place I stopped by with elephants didn't treat them very nice, in my opinion. Here via Hilary's blog, congratulations the POTW honor.
Brian Miller said…
the elephants are beautiful...what amazing creatures...you break my heart thinking about the abuse they face....would love to see some in the wild...
TexWisGirl said…
came back to say congrats on your POTW at hilary's!
Steve Gravano said…
Excellent post Elizabeth, I haven't had the time, till now to read this installment of your trip. My favorite! They look like such loving creatures, I love the photo of you kissing one and the last one!
Unknown said…
I was unable to bring myself to watch the film, only because I am aware of the national incident involving an abused Elephant in San Diego. She is now safely with a private owner on a farm, but can only be attended to by a female, as men were her abusers. I believe they were sentenced to jail.
Busy Bee Suz said…
Elephants seem like sweet and gentle giants to me. I always have loved them. The abuse just breaks my heart. I could not watch the abuse video; I'm too weak.
(I bawled all the way through Water for Elephants)
What a wonderful trip for you and your husband!!
Unknown said…
Thank you for your so cool post,it is useful,i love it very much.please share with us more good articles.
Produktdatenmarketing
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
muhammad asim said…
Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com
Unknown said…
Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com
Unknown said…
Classified Sites, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
hotcurrentaffairs.com
Unknown said…
Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com
Unknown said…
Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com
Unknown said…
Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
WorldLatestVehicles.blogspot.com
stephen Hayes said…
Hilary at the Smitten Image directed me to your blog and I'm glad she did. Lately, I've been posting about our trip to Thailand and Cambodia, but I also write about art, humor and nostalgia. I hope you'll visit me sometime. Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Gather Children

I remember a song being sung when I was a young girl. It was called, "I Would Gather Children." I heard it in the independent baptist church where I was raised. And while I have long since left the baptist denomination, I remain thankful for that particular church's presence in my life. It gave me ties and relationships that have lasted my entire life. Introduced me to true leaders, selfless, and compassionate, like  Pastor Brooks . It led me to my faith. And maybe, most importantly, it led me to question my faith and confront the struggle between things I was taught, and what I knew in my heart about Jesus. And this, ultimately, brought me to a place where I live freely and bravely, trying to love unconditionally as Jesus loves.  I couldn't find a video of the song to share. But I did find this poem, which I believe are the lyrics of the song, or at least very similar. The author is unknown. Some would gather money Along the path of life Some would gather r