Skip to main content

Marta Artbound: The Sweet-Spirited Boy at Midtown

Midtown Station Atlanta, GA

A few weeks ago, I played at Midtown Station in Atlanta for Marta's Artbound Program, an effort to bring live arts to the public. Midtown is a great location, as it's outdoors and in a fun, brightly painted setting. Of course, being Georgia in August, it's also very hot! I set up my keyboard and equipment as well as an electric fan and began my set.

Not far into my set, I noticed a young boy and his mother in the area. The boy seemed very curious about the music and eventually sat right in front of my little stage to watch and clapped after each song. I tried to give him the warmest smile possible so he would feel comfortable if he wanted to come talk to me. Eventually he did.

He told me that he and his cousins liked to write song lyrics together and he had a notebook at home of random thoughts that might make a good song one day. He told me he thought music was like a super power. He asked me all kinds of questions about the songs I played and told me when something reminded him of a memory. He would say, "That was a good song," nodding his head matter-of-factly as if making a decision after giving it some serious thought. I invited him to sit next to the keyboard in a folding chair so he could see my fingers. And he did. He sat there for the rest of my set, about 2 hours. 

We continued to chat between songs. He was a child, but we spoke as equals. He was easy to talk to. He told me he had a lucky feather, and that yesterday, it helped him sell 60 water bottles...something he does to help his family earn money. Suddenly, he had an idea and asked if he could try something on the keyboard with me. "What if we do a song together, called "Cats and Dogs," and I'll play the cat part and you do the dog part?" He was seated at the high end of the keyboard, while I could play at the low end. I thought it was a genius and creative duet idea. I did my best to imitate the deep bark of a dog, while he tinkled at the high end, imitating a cat's meow. This opened a floodgate of inspiration for him and he suggested several others: "Rain and Thunder," "Light and Dark," "Cars and Trucks."

When my set came to an end, I grew sad at the thought that I might never see this boy again. I gave him my card and he told me, "You're the nicest person I met today." As I began to load up my equipment, he quickly offered to help me, and wrapped up cords and carried things to my car. I wanted to give him a hug, but instead I told him, "You're awesome. I really hope I see you again." And I really hope I do.


Comments

DJan said…
How wonderful! Thank you for sharing your interaction with this young gentleman with me. I'd like to know more about him. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi