Skip to main content

Magical Moment 16, "Revelation in the Smoky's"

I made the trip down to NC to see my husband, feeling a bit dejected. I often write about my success and failures as a struggling musician in New York City, but lately it seems I have experienced more failures than anything else. And while I was happy at the thought of being with my husband for a few days, I had a 14 hour trip to stew about my career, what I would do when I returned, and the ever weighing question on my mind, what if I never get anywhere with this?

After a few days in the Smoky Mountains, I couldn't face the prospect of going back home so soon. I extended my trip and decided to focus on my husband while I was here. I swore off my normal routine of scouring the internet hours at a time looking for jobs and another several hours a day perfecting recordings and practicing. I also wouldn’t miss the day to day journey in and out of the city – the bus ride at rush hour, the dirty, crowded subways, walking for blocks in the freezing cold, or constantly getting lost, confused, and misdirected. All I brought with me was my guitar and notepad, just in case a song idea hit me in the middle of the night. I felt relief and guilt at the same time for leaving these things behind for a week and a half. If I don’t put in the work, how can I expect to get anything out of it?

The other day, I drove to meet my husband for lunch. This small mountain town has few radio stations and I scanned the dial to find one without static interference. The one I found was a Christian talk radio station. I usually prefer music, but I left it because there is something familiar and comforting when I hear a radio sermon. It must be from my childhood when my mother listened to cassette tapes of sermons on road trips.

Only a few seconds had passed when I heard the man say something that got my attention.  He said the words, “unbridled ambition.” And then he gave the definition. I know that I have ambition for myself and I know ambition is a good and healthy thing to possess. But when he gave the definition of unbridled ambition, I soon felt a conviction in my heart. “Unbridled ambition is the willingness to work yourself to death in order to meet the worlds’ standards.”

I thought about my willingness to work myself to death. And not just with music. In the Army I gave every ounce of myself, did about a million things I didn’t want to do, didn’t think I could do, didn’t ever need to do, and probably should never have done, but I thought I had to do those things to meet the standard of officer my superiors expected. I certainly know now that much of what I did was unnecessary. I could have been just as good an officer without working til sun down when it could have waited until the next morning, or putting my body through unnecessary trauma after trauma. I thought, Maybe I am doing the same thing all over again.

Whose standard am I trying to meet anyway? My boss, my evaluator, my commander, the industry, a club owner, an activities or music director? I am striving to please the wrong people. I know this. I was raised in a Christian home. Duh, we do all things for the Glory of God, not man. I have forgotten, blinded by my frantic schedule, hours of work and research trying to find that one magical thing that will get me where I want to be. Who knows if God even wants me to be there because I hardly even bothered to ask.

I constantly worry, even panic over my career. This shouldn’t be my incessant frame of mind if I am pursuing something I love so dearly. And then he said something else, “If worry and anxiety are allowed to grow unchecked, they turn into depression. And if depression is not reversed, it can turn into deep despair.”

Eek. Again my mind went back to my days in the Army when at my lowest point of feeling like all my work had been in vain and all my efforts were useless, I felt the hopeless hold of depression. And how again, I felt the same cycle happening now with music.

After this revelation in the car, I felt an entirely new perspective take place. Priorities, balance, and God’s will should be my focus, not worry, anxiety, and failure. I’m not saying I’m magically fixed and I won’t be sad, frustrated, or stress myself out trying to reach perfection anymore. But at least I’m aware that I’m prone to these things and I know what should be my goal.

I had to take a minute to realize how amazing it was that I was in the car, listening to that station at that exact moment. God knew what I needed to hear and He brought me 762 miles to hear it.

**The preacher was Dr. Charles F. Stanley   http://www.intouch.org

Comments

Eddie said…
I love you, my dear sweet wife, more than there are words and bigger than the sky. My daily prayer is for your happiness and my birthday wish when I blew out my candles was the same. I thank God for blessing me with your friendship and love and for always taking care of us both.
Debbie said…
God has something big in story for you, just remember to listen to him and not man.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi