Skip to main content

Magical Moment 39, "Belt It"

I've started the process to complete a lifelong dream. I know it will be a long time before it's finished, as well as challenging and expensive. I am recording an album. I have dozens of my songs recorded on my Mac with me playing the part of every instrument on my midi keyboard, but I know that if I want this album to be a true success, it must be the highest level of professional.

Because the average cost of recording a full length album at the industry standard is on average about $30,000, my first step is obviously to raise funds. Thankfully, I was introduced to a website (http://www.sellaband.com/) where people from all over the world can search artists who they believe have true potential and can support them financially. I have no romantic ideas about how this will work. I know years may pass before I reach my financial goal and even after it is reached, I know that a CD release is a gamble. But I’m optimistic. So many doors have been opened to lead me to this point and I truly believe this is a path I can and should walk.

I have begun to record my first single on my first album, “Sick and Tired.” It seems to be a favorite among those who have heard my music. Because my first time in a real recording studio was several months ago when I recorded a jingle for Nickelodean (which they never even used), I was a little unsure of the process when I walked into the state of the art studio in downtown New York City. Consoles, screens, buttons, plexi-glass, and microphones. I was overwhelmed to say the least.

LeeAnn, who is producing most of this track (and probably the future tracks as well), coached me through the ins and outs of the recording process. I was slightly bashful at the thought of singing such a personal and emotional song with her listening intently for any microscopic flaws in my voice, but I was soon became comfortable in the booth.

She kept demanding more and more power in my voice and I kept telling I don’t have anymore! My voice has been described as sweet, soft, lovely, but NEVER powerful. However, she continued to push and I decided we were never going to get through this session if I didn’t just cowboy up and do it.

I mustered up every ounce of power I could squeeze out of my abdomen, took a deep breath, and let ‘er rip. Out came a completely different voice. I didn’t even sound like me. I remember using my belt voice as a child, singing when no one was around to hear me, but I figured it was long lost because I never honed the skill. I used it last year in a production of the musical, “The Full Monty” for my two line solo. But I have never been able to sing that high or loud than when I did that night in the studio with LeeAnn. We looked at each other, amazed.

Now that I know I have all the tools to make this song sound incredible, (the belt voice, the producer, the equipment), I am feeling more inspired than ever about this project. I can’t wait to get back in the studio and finish the song. I feel so blessed to be able to work on this. I am doing what I love and learning by the truckload how this business works. I’ll keep you posted on the progress!


"Sick and Tired" words and music by Elizabeth Grimes Copyright 2009

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beth,

I can't wait until the album comes out. Sick and Tired is one of my favorite songs from the collection of cd's you have given me over the last two years.

I wish you the best of luck and can't until you break through. I know you will.

My best to Eddie.

See you back in Jersey soon...

-ro
Debbie said…
Sick and Tired is the first song that I heard of yours and will always be a favorite of mine, I know that if anyone can do this it's you, I am behind you 100 percent.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi