Skip to main content

Magical Moment 180, "I Auditioned For American Idol and all I Got was this Beer Coozie"

Yesterday morning as I casually flipped through the TV morning talk shows, I discovered that I must be living under a rock. It turns out that American Idol was holding auditions practically in our back yard in East Rutherford, NJ at the IZOD Center. In a very spur of the moment decision, I decided to drive over and pre-register for the auditions that were held today.

Well, first let me put an end to your suspense, no I didn’t pass the audition. Our schedule for today’s exciting events were as follows: Arrive at 5 am. Sit on sidewalk for three hours. Wait in bleachers for ten hours. Audition for 15 seconds. Go home.

Oh, there were perks. When Eddie won a free, styrofoam beer coozie for recycling his Sprite can, I thought it was a sign of good things to come. However, after paying $15 for a parking space, and almost $9 for a kids size personal pizza which Eddie and I split (I’m starving right now by the way), I began to have my doubts.

Twelve tables were set up in the middle of the huge indoor arena that held about 10,000 contestants and on-lookers. Each table had 1 or 2 producers, and 4 contestants at a time were sent to sing a 10 second solo in front of them. All this happened simultaneously, so the auditorium continuously echoed of, Lady Gaga, Whitney Houston, and Christina Aguilera sounding hopefuls. If you were lucky enough to pass this first audition, you were sent to a second audition in front of more TV producers. If you were lucky enough to pass that audition, you were sent to the judges, which is what we all see on TV. If you’re scratching your head at all, yes, that means that those horribly tone-deaf individuals that Simon and the others mock, have made it passed 2 previous auditions already.

Eddie and I passed our 10 hours of waiting by playing the one sad little video game that came free on our iPod and walking laps around the outside of the stadium. I knew early on that my gentle singing voice, even at its most powerful, was not the right style or fit for American Idol. Still, I knew that if I passed up the opportunity, I would kick myself later. So, if nothing else, Eddie and I found out that we could entertain ourselves pretty easy in the face of total and absolute boredom. I also was reminded of what a rare husband I have to support me so willingly on such a dreadfully long day. And of course, I got an awesome title for today’s blog!

Comments

Eddie said…
For anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis or if this is the only one you've ever read, but you know me and my wife, please let me tell you that she is the most amazing person I have ever known. I thank God daily (and that is not nearly enough) for allowing me to know her. If any of her blogs or stories have ever inspired you at all, you should meet her in real life. American Idol and its producers let an opportunity pass them up today. That's okay. There are lots of other people out there for that show and God has other things in store for Elizabeth, but let her inspire you to not miss an opportunity to take a risk today. Put your whole heart and soul into something and cry with joy if it turns out how you want or with sadness if it doesn't. If you do that, then you will start to know who Elizabeth is and what she stands for. I am proud of her and she is my hero.
Anonymous said…
Beth, it kind of reminds me of the time we went to try out for Wheel of Fortune! So many great times. Thank you for your daily inspiration and insight.
-ro

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi