Saturday, February 19, 2011

Magical Moment 380, "Reflection"


"Reflection" by Elizabeth Grimes

A million eyes, all looking at me.
I’m terrified of what they might see.

It matters not how I hide, or where.
I can’t escape their watchful stare.

I try to move, but feel paralyzed.
And I’m pulled apart as I’m scrutinized.

Soon it changes, after a breath.
Now there’s only one spectator left.

I reach my hand to touch the cruel eyes
And suddenly realize I’d been seeing lies.

It was water I felt. People, none!
The ripples made thousands out of one.

Another truth! I see it clearer.
A crowd created by a broken mirror.

It’s only me, and was all along.
I’m the only one who needs to like my song.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I can't imagine the angst a performer must feel before laying it all out there in front of an audience, especially if the piece being laid out is of the performer's own creation. You've expressed it well in these lines.

Anonymous said...

Love the poem you wrote.It came out so truthful and not full of crap like other poems.Seriously,if you dont like criticism,then you will never make it as a true artist.Everyday we are faced with fear of what people think,you are so right when you put only you are the one who needs to like your song...and only I need to like my comment. -Becca-

Lori said...

Love this! XX

laughwithusblog said...

You are amazing!

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Linda, Actually, I've found that writing a blog is very similar. You put yourself out there for others to see, critique, like, or dislike. Thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem!

Becca, Thanks for your kind words about the poem. In the end, it's what you think about yourself that matters. I've certainly found that to be true.

Lori, Thank you! :)

Esther, you're too kind! I'm still waiting to read a poem on your blog! :) Think yours will be a humorous one for sure though!

Mom said...

I like your songs too! Love you!