Monday, April 25, 2011

Magical Moment 445, "Nerds of a Feather"



Takes one to know one...

Birds of a feather flock together....


In a random discussion about movies with a friend of mine, I casually mentioned the apparently appalling fact that I've never seen "Lord of the Rings."

His response was a gaping gasp and a mortified stare, as if I had two heads growing off my neck. 
"How can that be?!" he asked, stunned.

I wondered what the big deal was and just explained that I don't watch a lot of sci-fi. His next response had me laughing for minutes. It was as if he was just double checking known fact, like, "You're married, right? You live in Jersey, right?" Because apparently, I have this ora about me. And  I wear the title proudly. Maybe not always in the past, but I know myself well enough to know the answer was "yes" when he asked, 

"But Elizabeth...aren't you a nerd?????!!!"

8 comments:

Leontien said...

haha! You sure don't look like one, but that you have NOT seen those movies, or at least one of them is pretty amazing!

Thanks for sharing
Leontien

Linda said...

I think I'm nerdy enough that I don't quite get your friend's point. :) But I love the title of your post. I haven't seen the whole "Lord of the Rings" series. My hubby and I saw the first one and hated it. We sat through all four hours only to read the announcement at the end that it was "to be continued" in a sequel to be released on such and such a date. We didn't rush home and mark the date on our calendar.

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Leontien, Ah, thanks! I know, everyone has seen those movies but me!

Linda, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is kind of like the whole "Star Trek" thing. The fans are fanatics. I guess it's kind of a stereo type that nerdy people like sci fi and fantasy movies, but NOT ME! :)

Dawn said...

Yay! Makes 2 of us. I have never seen a one:)
(Should we plan a movie night to watch them???
Nahhhh;))

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Lol Dawn! I keep saying I'm going to have a movie night, but then I never do! Maybe one of these days. :)

laughwithusblog said...

Too funny! I do love the Lord of the Rings movies, but this reminds me that when I married Jason he had about the same reaction that I hadn't seen the Star Wars movies. He made me watch every one! :)

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Esther, I haven't seen Star Wars either. LOL!

Regina Teague said...

Hmmm, never seen Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. I think this makes us the exact opposite of nerd.