Skip to main content

Magical Moment 590, "If We Make it Through December"

I love winter and I love snow. We got a hard dose of it pretty early this year though, making me think we could be in for a long, cold season. One of my favorite songs is Merle Haggard's "If We Make it Through December." There's just something relatable in the lyrics, reminding me that better days are always ahead. 

I have my own reasons for getting through December. And a while ago, when I recorded my version of this song on my Mac, I had different reasons and a different December to brave. We all have our metaphorical "Decembers" to muttle through, and it seems between the economy, protesters, and freak snow storms, we may never get there. But that's when we're reminded of last year, and the years before, and we can see how far we've come. 

(The photo was taken right outside our door. Just one of the thousands of trees that were destroyed by the heavy, wet snow. This was one of the very first songs I ever recorded in Garage Band about 3 years ago. It's a little rough around the edges, but I find that when you have a good song to begin with, it's hard to mess it up too bad. Enjoy.)

"If We Make it Through December" - Merle Haggard

If we make it through December
Everythings gonna be all right I know
It's the coldest time of winter
And I shiver when I see the fallin snow

If we make it through December
I got plans of bein in a warmer town come summer time
Maybe even California
If we make it through December we'll be fine

I got laid off down at the factory
And there timings not the greatest in the world
Heaven knows I been workin' hard
I wanted Christmas to be right for daddy's girl
Now I don't mean to hate December
It's meant to be the happy time of year
And why my little girl don't understand
Why daddy can't afford no Christmas here

If we make it through December
Everythings gonna be alright I know
It's the coldest time of winter
And I shiver when I see the fallin' snow

If we make it through December
I got plans of bein' in a warmer town come summer time
Maybe even California
If we make it through December we'll be fine

Comments

I like your thought...we all do have December's to make it through! So True
ps. I did not get a video to play
ds said…
Our personal Decembers--very true. Poor trees! They are down everywhere. Hope you came through with no loss of power.
Steve Gravano said…
That was awesome! You should put that on a CD!
OH! Your music is soooo awesome :) Although, to be truthful, December is usually just the beginning, with, well, January through march testing the patience a bit....
I wondered how you were faring during the recent storm in your area. It's certainly a reminder of the long winter ahead. But I hope your metaphorical December proves to be mild and short. :)

The video didn't play for me, either; but now Merle Haggard's voice will be singing it in my head all day.
TexWisGirl said…
that was beautiful. really loved it.
Dawn said…
Love this post and these thoughts. December can be and usually is- a tricky month for many reasons...and Decembers can come at any time too!
Thanks for this post. I needed it today....
Hilary said…
Very pretty, Elizabeth. It's a shame about the damage that the early snow has caused.
Busy Bee Suz said…
I really really love this song too...and I really really love your thoughts on 'December'. It's true that we all have our 'December's to get through....I am hoping yours goes well.

ps. The downed tree makes me sad!!!!
Leontien said…
Ok i just didn't quite sound right coming from my laptop! I'll have to listen to the song again on my computer later today....


And oh my gosh that snow, yes, i heard lot's of people had some.... pretty scary!

So glad to be back!
Leontien
laughwithusblog said…
Right now I've just gotta get through November! ;)
Rick said…
Not sure what you consider 'rough around the edges' but I loved it - beautifully done !

As for the snow ... that's why we're down south ;-) But I recall a 6" dump of snow the first weekend of September about 15 years ago when we lived in Calgary - also did a lot of damage, and the following weekend it was 77 and I was cutting the grass !
Leonora said…
It's a beautiful song.
If we can only make it through December...and January...and February. When we lived in NY, it wasn't until May that we could breath easier : )
Slamdunk said…
Beautiful Elizabeth. I should have listened to this as I was shoveling the driveway after the same storm you describe; perhaps it would have removed my frown.
Deborah said…
You have the voice of an angel Elizabeth ... that was just beautiful! x
Jayne said…
Elizabeth- I just want you to know that my 12 year-old daughter walked into my room as I was listening to your recording of "If We Make it Through December" and she stopped in her tracks (which doesn't often happen!) and said, "Wow, she has a really beautiful voice."

And you do. And yes, we must all weather our own Decembers. Doesn't it feel so good to come out all right on the other side?!
Joop Zand said…
Thats a nice song Elisabeth

warm greetings,. Joop
Unknown said…
What a beautiful voice and what a truth about December. There is a mix of joy and sadness in it, I believe, for many of us! Still, I focus on the Joy! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Gather Children

I remember a song being sung when I was a young girl. It was called, "I Would Gather Children." I heard it in the independent baptist church where I was raised. And while I have long since left the baptist denomination, I remain thankful for that particular church's presence in my life. It gave me ties and relationships that have lasted my entire life. Introduced me to true leaders, selfless, and compassionate, like  Pastor Brooks . It led me to my faith. And maybe, most importantly, it led me to question my faith and confront the struggle between things I was taught, and what I knew in my heart about Jesus. And this, ultimately, brought me to a place where I live freely and bravely, trying to love unconditionally as Jesus loves.  I couldn't find a video of the song to share. But I did find this poem, which I believe are the lyrics of the song, or at least very similar. The author is unknown. Some would gather money Along the path of life Some would gather r