Monday, December 5, 2011

Magical Moment 596, "Hand Holding"

The sign in front of the modest, industrial looking building said, "Livingston Rehabilitation and Care." I read it from the drivers seat of my car as I waited for the light to turn green. There was a row of handicap accessible vans lined up in the parking lot, and about a dozen patients waited to board them. They all sat in wheel chairs, while a handful of employees scrambled to organize the transport. 

My eyes were drawn to 2 patients, a man and a woman, adorned in typical hospital attire. He was a few feet in front of her, and when he turned his head around and saw her, he reached back his hand. I watched as she began cranking the large wheels on her chair. I glanced at the light, hoping it was still red. She drew closer to him, releasing a wheel and stretching out her arm.

The light at the cross intersection turned yellow, then red. I watched the couple with eagerness. "Oh please let me see it," I said out loud to no one. But my light turned green, and I was forced to press the gas pedal. As I drove away, I looked in the rear view mirror just in time. She had closed the distance. And they waited to board the vans, hand in hand.


11 comments:

Hilary said...

A very sweet moment, indeed. I suspect there are more out there than many of us realize. It just takes a pair of observant eyes such as yours.

Linda said...

Sweet, indeed. I'm glad you were able to see it, even if it was in the rear view mirror.

roobo69 said...

Magical.

Dawn said...

Ahhhh...so glad you caught the moment. Very few people do!

TexWisGirl said...

God bless them!

missing moments said...

How very observant of you ... such a touching story! Glad you shared.

Kim @ Stuff could... said...

This is a sweet moment in time...I am glad you noticed it.
My hubs and I do not hold hands...but a nice gesture it is, and to have someone to love

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, this is the loveliest thing I have read in a long time. So much sweetness is so few words.
Thanks!
xo

Steve Gravano said...

Holding someone's hand is such a small gesture, but it is so powerful. Even in its ripple effects from you to us.

Rick said...

Isn't it amazing how such a simple act by two people who were completely oblivious to anyone around could have such a profound effect. Made your day seeing it, and you made ours by sharing it.

Deborah said...

I love moment like that, magical indeed :o)
Thank you for your congratulations Elizabeth x