Saturday, January 7, 2012

Magical Moment 601, "Corky"

"Corky"

There was more black than white in his black and white view.
And more scents to smell than he ever knew.
His paws on the floor made a light pitter-pat.
While the high-heels around him went "clackity-clack."
He wandered through the strangers than filled his home,
And though many pet him, he still felt alone.

At last he made his way to his chair.
Familiar and safe, his master would be there.
But when he jumped up, he was met with surprise
By a red-headed girl with tears in her eyes.
There's not much English that he understands,
"Sit," "Stay," and a few other commands.
But he knew when she said, so warm in her tone,
"I'm sorry, boy. He's not coming home."


~~~
Eddie's Granddaddy, Jackie Howell (right)
January 24, 1937 - January 1, 2012

Eddie, our nephew Jack, and Granddaddy's dog, Corky.

19 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm sorry for yours and Eddies' loss Elizabeth.
Memories are what keep those in our hearts....keep them close.
hugs

TexWisGirl said...

oh, i'm very sorry. i guess this explains the trip to Texas...

Tom said...

:(

Linda said...

A very poignant poem, Elizabeth. My sympathies to both you and Eddie. His granddaddy looks way to young to leave this life.

Rohit Singh said...

An absolute touching read!

ds said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so sorry for your loss. This was so beautiful and touching...Granddaddy would be proud.
xo

Steve Gravano said...

What a beautiful poem. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown Mami said...

I'm so sorry.

Hilary said...

Elizabeth and Eddie, I'm so sorry for your great loss. That's a heartbreaking poem. The connection between master and pet is so poignant. My sympathies to you all.

Tracy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a gramps is SO hard. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Dave King said...

A very sad tale, though beautifully written. Sorry seems to be the key word here.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

oh jeez, wow!

SassyModernMom said...

I am so sorry for your loss....

Frank Baron said...

Condolences, Elizabeth. And to the poor pooch. I'm sorry your holidays were shadowed with sadness.

Michael Manning said...

Elizabeth: My sincere condolences to you and Eddie. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,
Michael

Kim @ Stuff could... said...

So sorry for your loss...great tribute to him

missing moments said...

Such a beautiful poem. So sorry for your loss Elizabeth.

Rick said...

Words seem inadequate, Elizabeth.

As our pastor would say, "Granddaddy's joined the church triumphant."

My condolences to you and Eddie and extended family.