Skip to main content

Tijuana, "Los Estados Unidos, Where Skies are Blue"

My final day in Tijuana was a doozy. One of the most difficult things about being in the red tent area, where asylum-hopefuls gather daily to hear if their “lottery” number to the Ice Box gets called, was seeing the children. If your number gets called that day, you must be ready to leave immediately. So every day, entire families show up with all their belongings at 7am, day after day, after day. I learned some of the children’s names. They would smile when they recognized me and ask, “Como esta?” I saw the same babies in strollers being pushed by their parent or older sibling. I gave them nicknames to help me keep track. “One Zapato baby” (he only had one shoe). “Moana” (she was the spitting image of Baby Moana from the movie). My favorite, “Pink Bow.” I know her real name, but can’t say it publicly. Remember, she is a refugee, she and her family are running from someone who wants them dead. 
There are also many pregnant women. They stand in line, for hours. We tell them about the medical clinic and ask them to PLEASE come. On my final day, two pregnant women collapsed while waiting in line to hear if their number will be called. Not one. Two. One woman’s partner caught her from behind as her legs gave way and he gently lowered her to the pavement. After a few minutes, she seemed ok. Another volunteer from Al Otro Lado assessed her in Spanish as best as possible. And then we did the only thing we could. We sat her down on a cement curb, under a tree. We gave her a pair of socks because she had none. Remember, the Ice Box is intentionally kept at a very cold temperature. We took off our coats and jackets off and held them up. We made a human dressing room, 360 degrees around her, so that she could change clothes and put her warmest layer on bottom. Remember, all their clothes are taken from them, except their base layer. She was at full term. Nine months. I don’t know what happened to her after that. The other pregnant woman who collapsed, was rushed by a local ambulance to a Mexican hospital. I don’t know what happened to her either. Or how it will affect her asylum process.
Later that day, I gathered my belongs to cross back to the U.S. and begin my flight back home. I was just about to head out when a buzz went around the office that a wedding was to take place! Al Otro Lado is sometimes able to perform common law wedding ceremonies from specific countries. This may help families stay together as they cross the border. There was another musician volunteering with Al Otro Lado who had a ukulele. I had a guitar. We assigned ourselves the “wedding musicians” and quickly chatted about what songs we both knew how to play. We decided on “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” It was a make shift ceremony. Someone lit candles. The bride wore jeans. The couple had children who stood next to their parents as they repeated vows in Spanish. The groom became emotional, and choked back tears. I witnessed love, and pure hope, and two parents doing everything within their power to make a safe future for their children. They were announced husband and wife, and the few volunteers who found themselves with a spare 10 minutes to witness the ceremony, erupted into cheers. That was our cue to play music.
“Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue. And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.
If happy little blue birds fly above the rainbow why oh why? Oh why can’t I?”
I gathered my belongings, said my goodbyes, and walked across Ped West, back into the United States, with barely a glance at my Passport by Border Patrol Agents. As I waited for my Uber to take me to the airport, the sky turned gray, and rain began to downpour.


My Pre-Tijuana Post

Second Day Thoughts

First Hand Facts of the Red Tent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi