Skip to main content

Magical Moment 238, "Jesus is a Feminist"

That title got your attention, didn't it?! I’m writing on a heavy, controversial subject today, something I scarcely do. I didn’t intend on it, but after watching a short video of Gianna Jesson tell her story of surviving a late term abortion (she was the infant, not the mother), I was inspired to put my two cents in.

I’ve always considered myself a feminist, and gotten some crazy reactions from people when they hear that. Once I even got a self-righteous, knee-jerk response, “So I guess you don’t believe in God.” It’s hard for me to control my emotions and not engage in arguing with these kinds of people. If I do, I may end up sounding just as ignorant and foolish as they do. Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. I would like to ask them, “How much time have you spent seriously studying feminism? If the answer is zero, how can you possible say that it doesn’t fall in line with what God teaches?”

Some people joke, “You’re for women’s rights, so move that couch all by yourself.” Again, I have to bite my tongue and not engage the “fool.” First of all, I probably can move any piece of furniture alone, but that’s beside the point. Second of all, women’s rights doesn’t mean that all women should be treated like men. That’s absurd. If that were the case, then why don’t we all start treating men like women? We can pay them less money and expect less success in their futures. We wouldn't press them to live up to their full potential in education or in their careers. That would meet that particular definition of gender equality, wouldn’t it? Equal rights simply means that all women should be allotted the same courtesy, respect, and opportunity as anyone else. It is a very, very basic and reasonable principle. And a shame that some radical feminists and misogynists have made the concept seem so crazy and eccentric. 

I’m not saying that God didn’t have a design in His creation of man and woman. But I don’t think it was meant to be the cookie cutter plan that some legalistic Christians believe. If it was, Deborah certainly would have been out of God’s will, as the Old Testament judge and military leader. Jael committed murder and became a war hero (Judges 4:17-24). I’ve also noticed that the model “Proverbs 31 Woman” who is portrayed in church sermons as strictly a wife and mother, uses her “earnings” to plant a vineyard. And she does business with “tradesmen.”

Simply promoting gender equality is so 1970s anyhow. Of course gender bias still exists and is wrong, but the basis of feminism and women’s rights has moved far beyond the plight for only women. It promotes equality and respect for all genders, races, and cultures. It says that everyone should have basic rights like, to vote, to not be subject to genital or body mutilation, to wear what they want, to not suffer racial, gender, age, or any other kind of discrimination, to simply live! And with that at its core, I would venture to say Jesus is a feminist.

Now, on the other side, I’ve had people say, “How can you be a feminist but not support abortion?” For those who will not accept, "it's murder and God says it's wrong," as a legitimate answer, then here. It’s as simple as this. Feminism supports the rights of the oppressed. In a case of abortion, there are 2 sets of rights, right? The mother’s right to her body and the unborn child’s right to live. That cannot be denied. So whose rights are more important? As a woman and a human, for me, it is the child’s rights. Even in the case of rape? Yes. Even in the case of handicap or brain damage of the child? Yep. Everyone has a right to live. 


I think it's important for everyone to define what they believe and why they believe it. To be able to present facts that support their point of view maturely and respectfully. That's what today's blog has allowed me to do a little more clearly. Below are parts 1 and 2 of Gianna Jesson telling her story. I hope it inspires you in some way today.

Part I




Part II

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi