Skip to main content

Magical Moment 282, "A Dose of Song"

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I arrived at the orthopedic wing of a New York City hospital. I volunteered, with an organization called Sing for Hope, to spend about 2 hours going from hospital room to hospital room, serenading patients. Two other girls volunteered as well, and we took turns choosing a song to sing to an audience of one.

We were told that the average age for the orthopedic wing was about 65 or older…my specialty as it happens, from years of playing for retirement communities and nursing homes. I brought my guitar so I wouldn’t have to drag a keyboard around and found that most patients were extremely pleased with the impromptu concert. Some clapped along, some dozed off, but most simply smiled with sincere appreciation and delight. I prepared titles such as “Pennies from Heaven,” “Tennessee Waltz,” and “Walkin After Midnight.” But I saved the best song until I found that one person who would appreciate and love it the most. And soon I found her.

She was an older, frail woman who lay in her reclining hospital bed with her adult daughter by her side. She was awake, but her head rested firmly against her pillow and her eyes remained tightly shut, as she dealt with the intense pain coursing through her body. But what struck me most when I stepped through the doorway, was her concerned daughter, who did not take her eyes off her mother for even a moment.
“She’s going to play a song for you now, mom,” the daughter whispered gently without glancing up at me.
She sat with one hand tenderly holding her mother’s, while the other stroked the gray, fine hair that fell around the woman’s wrinkled face. She never took her eyes away, even though her mother did not return her gaze. The scene struck me so poignantly and unexpectedly, that I had to swallow the lump I felt rising in my throat.

I began to strum softly, then sang,
“Gonna take a sentimental journey. Gonna set my heart at ease. Gonna take a sentimental journey to renew old memories.”
I watched the daughter, barely even listening to myself. Her eyes remained locked on her mother, adoringly, in empathy, and with fervent care. I had no idea what this woman’s prognosis was, but I had the dark feeling that it was not good. Suddenly, I felt my voice begin to crack and had to shut my own eyes to escape the intense emotion in the room as I sang the bridge,
“Heaven. I’ll be waiting up for Heaven.”

I finished the song and stood up to leave. I wondered what I would say, Feel better? Have a good night? It seemed so shallow. But before I opened my mouth, the daughter broke eye contact with her mother for the first time since I was there. She wiped a tear from her cheek.
“Thank you,” she said.
“You’re welcome.” And I left.

Comments

Dawn said…
I am almost in tears.
This was beautiful and sad all the same.
I am so glad you were there at that moment. You were a blessing.
Hugs to you Elizabeth. You made me re-think my day today.
Dawn, thank you for that comment. Truly means a lot to me. It was a very moving moment and I'm glad that I got to share it with my readers. :)
Steve said…
Elizabeth, although you had a brief glimpse of how you profoundly touched the life of one of our patients/family members, I can assure you that there were many more unseen moments. As you know, music resonates throughout the soul and strikes a chord in one's memory to be savored ever after. Keep up the great work and I'm glad there are people such as you who make the world a little more beautiful.
Monique said…
Dear Elizabeth, thanks for sharing this beautiful story with us. Your words drew me into the moment with all my heart. It was an honor to work with you and Julianne and Sing for Hope. Thank you for your courage to open your heart and let God's healing power pour through you.
Blessings
Monique, it was great to work with you as well. Hope to see you again. Thank you for reading, and for the comment. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi