Skip to main content

Magical Moment 471, "A Silly Prophecy, Or Useful Reminder"

One day, a few months ago, I was expecting company. My mother's father who I had very little contact with my entire life was making a special trip from Philadelphia to New Jersey to see me. We were never close, I barely knew him, but it was a big deal that he would take a few precious hours out of his life to travel and see his estranged granddaughter. So, I cleaned the house. Rid it of the intolerable animal hair that he is notoriously allergic to. And I made a pot roast. Some might say an act of God that I cooked. I sat outside on the front porch with my dog, scanning up and down the road, waiting for his rental car's arrival. He was right on time. We ate pot roast. Chatted a bit. And then he left and I've not heard from him since.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but according to some pastor, Jesus will return Saturday around 6 pm. That's a handy little piece of information to have. I've seen it for the last few months on billboards and on the side of buses: "May 21, 2011, Jesus will come again." Now, I've always believed that Jesus will return again and take His believers to Heaven. But I also believe that no one can know when this will happen. In fact, not even Jesus Himself. Only God knows. Even for a Christian who is sure of their life after death, the event can seem intimidating, scary even. Despite all the knowledge and assurance that it will be a glorious occasion for believers, it's sort of unnerving.

Why? I wonder. What if my mother's father had shown up at my house and it was a pit?! What if he stepped in the front door and started a sneezing fit from the filthy, black hair left on the couch by my lazy cat? What if he was hungry and I had no food in the house? I would have been so embarrassed. And I barely even knew this man!

Goodness! What if Jesus, the One who literally SAVED MY LIFE, came back to get me and take me home, and I was a mess? A bitter, angry, lazy, icky mess. What an embarrassing disaster. Now that I think about it, that's what's so unnerving about the whole thing!

So with all the talk, the chaos, the gossip, the condemnation, the speculation about this pastor's prophecy for Saturday, it's not just something to snicker and shrug off. If the world ends, the true disaster wouldn't be that I never finished recording my album, or gave my nephews and nieces one last hug, or missed Oprah's finale show. It would be the shame of not being ready to come face to face with my Savior. And so, while personally, I do not believe this pastor's prophecy that Jesus will return May 21, 2011, I certainly believe that He COULD return at any moment. And that is an ever sobering reminder, that I should ALWAYS be ready to meet Him.


~~
John 14:1-4
1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”


Matthew 24:36 & 42
"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come."

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Comments

Dawn said…
Your post means more to me than you can know...for so many reasons. Thank you for it.
*hugs*
Rick said…
Food for thought. Well put.
Anonymous said…
Very very true, and well put. Thanks for sharing this...
An excellent post, Elizabeth. We should always be ready and looking for His return. I do believe it will be soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi