Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Magical Moment 535, "Rose in a Canteen"

Sorting through a box of old photographs, I came across this one...

Taken on a disposal camera about 7 years ago during some Army training as a cadet. I recall feeling very homesick, as it was a new experience, and very exhausted. I found a rose (I have no idea where) and kept it alive in my canteen of water for a few days before I was forced to throw it away during a room inspection.

A vibrant red rose, bringing beauty to drab olive green.



8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

awww. a taste of 'normalcy' in a foreign world...

missing moments said...

sometimes it is a simple vision that brings such pleasure

Pierre BOYER said...

Lovely...
Regards from France,

Pierre

roobo69 said...

Ah, reminds me of my time in the airforce - we were never allowed anything to bring any colour to our world... This may be why I love photography so much now - constant colour, constant life in the pictures...

Shammickite said...

Even a single bloom can bring so much peace and happiness, so simple, but so important.

Busy Bee Suz said...

What a wonderful memory. You survived the change...and with class. :)

ds said...

What a great photo, and what a great image of survival under difficult conditions and that beauty is a simple thing.
Thank you.

Kim @ Stuff could... said...

Awww so beautiful of the rose and canteen