Skip to main content

Magical Moment 46, "How I Got a Free 8 x 10"

I loved my wedding day. It was filled with beautiful details that represented Eddie and I from the flowers to the guests to the location. I’ve held off writing about my wedding day because although it’s clearly a huge part of who I am, I don’t want it to come off sounding cliché or cheesy. So rather than writing about the moment we “became husband and wife,” or said our vows, or had our first dance as a married couple, I’ll tell you the story of how we got a free 8 x 10 wedding photo.

Let me start by explaining some of the wedding planning. We had 4 months to plan the whole thing. It would take place in July while I was on mid-tour leave from the Army Soldier Show. Eddie would take leave as well from Fort Bragg, although he still had to be kind of sneaky about it (Read the Frog and the Owl Valentines Day, Moment 10). In short, the Army has a policy against fraternization and we were breaking it by getting married. It was a bit of a juggling act. Eddie was in North Carolina, I was all over the United States, and the wedding would take place in Nebraska. Not to mention, Eddie’s whole family lives in Texas and my sister and wedding planner lived in Hawaii. She offered to put the whole thing together since every second of my time was occupied by the Soldier Show. I trusted her completely and she didn’t let me down.

I wanted to keep it small and beautiful. We had about 20 guests – siblings, parents, and grandparents only (and my best friend Deb, who I just call a sibling). It took place at Pioneers Park in Lincoln, NE, a gorgeous park where I grew up having fond family memories. It’s also where I had my graduation/commissioning party. I always knew I wanted to get married there. My sister and Eddie hunted the globe high and low to find the flowers I wanted, lilacs. We had a mix of silk and real flowers as lilacs are impossible to find in July.

The bridesmaids wore whatever dress they wanted (they all have impeccable taste). The groomsmen wore whatever suit they had in their closet. Eddie wore a killer tux and cowboy boots picked out by my mother (I also trust her completely). And I wore a simple, elegant dress that I found at a store in a Virginia mall the one day I had off from the show (I was dropped off and picked up by a government van and had only 2 hours to tear through the entire mall to find a dress). I found my shoes at Macy’s and amazingly enough, they cost more than the dress. Deb sang a gorgeous song, “Lullaby” by the Dixie Chicks, as I walked down the aisle with my dad. We had the reception at Lee’s, where I used to play the piano in college, and we ate apple pie instead of wedding cake.

Eddie’s family traveled up from Texas. My childhood pastor, long time family friend, and role model, Pastor Brooks, drove from Iowa to officiate the ceremony. Every detail of the day was exactly what I wanted. What I dreamed about.

The ceremony was of course beautiful and emotional. I didn’t feel nervous at all. I felt amazing. Beautiful. Confident. Eddie looked nervous. But soon all the elements of the day came together; family, the gorgeous day, the pond behind us, my pretty shoes, the music playing, walking arm and arm with my dad then joining hands with Eddie. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house...or park.

This included our photographer, Frank Ekeler, who approached me after the ceremony, still slightly choked up. “I have a policy that if any wedding makes me cry, I throw in a free 8 x 10.” Our wedding was perfect, beautiful, genuine, original, and meaningful. And that’s how I got a free 8 x 10.


Comments

Eddie said…
Best day of my life up to that point... Everyday since has been a little better. I know that sounds dumb, but I am very blessed and I'm glad that I know it. I thank God for my Sweet Mary Beth.
Debbie said…
I love the picture, and I am proud to have it hanging in my home.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi