Skip to main content

Magical Moment 103, "Bird Watching"



When I was a little girl, I was pretty good at entertaining myself. I made up all kinds of pretend worlds and games that I quietly indulged in alone. I could lie in bed for hours and day dream the night away, or sit contently in the car as long as there was a window to look through and a radio.

One game I remember playing, was bird watching. Birds are beautiful and amazing little creatures. I didn’t bird watch with binoculars and a whistle, holding a bird species identification book and cataloguing my findings, I watched them and made up stories about them. Birds didn’t simply land in a tree for a moment and then take off never to be seen again. Each one had a life, a purpose, and family. They were on their way to or from a magical place or secret hideout. They were looking for their friends, who weren’t just birds. Friends included bunnies, squirrels, even bugs. Sometimes they got lost. Sometimes they played in the rain. Sometimes they showed off just because they knew I was watching.

When a bright red cardinal, or other colorful bird caught my eye, I would think, “What are you doing here, you pretty little thing? You should be in an exotic jungle or enchanted forest.” I imagined the colorful birds were the princes and princesses of the bird world. When the other birds saw them, they marveled at their beauty and felt honored to interact with them. Some of the colorful birds were gracious and humble about their status, but some were mean and arrogant. And although I loved seeing the rare beauties, I remember my favorite birds were the tiny, little swallows. Probably because at first, I thought that’s what baby birds looked like. But even as I grew older, I had a soft spot in my heart for the common, brown and gray swallow. They boasted no exquisite features, yet they were lovely. Their song was not unique or melodic, yet they sang with their whole heart. Their wingspan was not impressive like an eagle, yet they flew just as high.

When I grew up, I realized that I people-watched in much the same way I used to bird watch. When I played the piano at Lee’s Restaurant for hours on end, my eyes wandered from table to table imagining the lives of the patrons munching on fried chicken and onion rings. Soon, I became an expert in the subject, guessing what era and style of music they might want to hear, and it usually got me a tip from them before they left. I knew who wanted to hear “Sentimental Journey,” “Hotel California,” or something by Willie Nelson based on their clothes, age, and personality. And even when I got the song wrong, and they left without so much as a nod to the piano player, at least imagining their story entertained me, even though I was supposed to be entertaining them.

I still people watch, and bird watch. And I’m still impressed by grandeur and impressiveness that some display. But I still find myself in the end, rooting for the underdog. I mean under-bird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi