Skip to main content

Magical Moment 128, "Back Stage"

Last night, I drove over the George Washington Bridge, sipping hot water and warming up my voice with vocal exercises learned from high school choir class. I was on my way to Clark Theatre at Lincoln Center in Manhattan to perform in a benefit concert for the World Mission Foundation. It’s been a while since I’ve performed on a stage in front of an audience. Parties, restaurants, and bars are a completely different venue. People are having conversations with one another and are generally occupied with something other than giving their full attention to the musician providing background music. I am free to make mistakes, forget lyrics, and play wrong chords in those instances. But not for a performance. A stage requires perfection. A mistake is seen by hundreds of eyes.

In my incessant over preparation, my voice became hoarse the morning of, leaving me to exhaust every home-remedy for sore throat relief I could imagine. When I arrived at the theatre, I was first shown to the dressing room, complete with mirrors and lights. The stage was all black, displaying only microphone stands and a black grand piano. I spent several hours back stage, getting ready and speaking to the other performers. We were all amateurs, nervous about our spotlight moments, except for one performer, Ricardo Molfa. He has toured the world with his classical, Spanish guitar, gracing stages with entertainers such as Gloria Estefan.

His smiling face and relaxed demeanor showed no trace of anxiousness. While myself and others waited in the stage wings jittering with anticipation, he remained carefree in the dressing room, having an impromptu jam session with his musical partner.

I went back to the dressing room to reapply lip-gloss and grab some more water. As soon as I entered the room, I knew I had walked in on something special. The two guitarists were harmonizing and picking their strings with such exquisite talent and love for their music, that I immediately picked up my camera. As I held it up, Ricardo grinned at me. I quickly switched the setting from camera mode, to video mode and when I made a “keep it going” gesture with my hand, he smiled again and gave me about 2 minutes of uninterrupted magic.

Last night was a wonderful night, one that made me really think about the beauty and various aspects of performing. I concentrate so hard on perfecting what I know others will see in the spotlight and on stage. But sometimes they see without us meaning to. Back stage is where some moments can be truly inspirational and unbelievable. I hope you enjoy this clip.

Comments

Mary Valencia said…
I love it! & have played it over already many times just like I do your music, Elizabeth.
"espero me en el cielo." I truly enjoyed it!!

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi