Skip to main content

Magical Moment 485, "Try to Remember"

After 6 hours of playing piano for ballet rehearsals today, I began to grow weary of my usual song selection. I've spent the last few months building my ballet repertoire and no matter how much I practice, my song list seems to barely increase. 

For an Adagio exercise, I flipped through one of my song books that I rarely use for ballet, The Big Broadway Fake Book. I stopped at the first 3/4 song I saw, "Try to Remember." All I knew about this song, was that it's a corny Tom Jones song, but rather than repeat an old song, I decided to just wing this one.

As I played the music though, I got caught up in the lyrics written beneath the notes. Maybe it's because we just celebrated Memorial Day. Maybe it's because I saw a photograph recently that triggered a memory. Whatever it was, I was flooded with thoughts of my friend Kevin, an Army Lieutenant who was killed in Iraq 4 years ago. Of course I thought about him on Memorial Day. I remember him on 9/11, the Fourth of July, Veterans Day, Flag Day, and his birthday. So I felt odd suddenly becoming emotional on this random day of June 4th. I thought about our care-free college days and our hopes and aspirations for the future. His got cut far too short.  

I was not related to him, or a friend of the family. So sometimes, I feel like I don't really have the right to be so sad that he's gone. But I guess I gave myself permission today to remember. I don't need a holiday. Just a photograph. A song. Or a memory.
~~

The dancers completed the Adagio combination on their right side, and before they began the left side, I grabbed my camera to record the music. I wanted to record the dancers, but didn't think I should without their permission.


"Try to remember when life was so tender
That no one wept except the willow.
Try to remember when life was so tender
That dreams were kept beside your pillow.
Try to remember when life was so tender
That love was an ember about to billow.
Try to remember, and if you remember,
Then follow."

Follow, follow, follow, follow, follow,
Follow, follow, follow, follow.

~~
More about Kevin:

Comments

Rick said…
I can see how this song and the lyrics would bring back memories. I really like your version of it - it sounded almost wistful, like trying to bring back those happy times from the past before things got so complicated and off the planned track.

Thanks for sharing this, Elizabeth.
This is a song from my era, and I loved hearing you play it while reading and remembering the lyrics. I didn't remember that Tom Jones wrote it. I associate it more with Ed Ames, I think, because he recorded a popular version of it. I might just have to go find that version and download it onto my MP3 player. :) Thanks for this post. Kevin had a good friend.
I hope we never forget the "Kevins" of war. I can see why this beautiful song would bring back memories...

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Gather Children

I remember a song being sung when I was a young girl. It was called, "I Would Gather Children." I heard it in the independent baptist church where I was raised. And while I have long since left the baptist denomination, I remain thankful for that particular church's presence in my life. It gave me ties and relationships that have lasted my entire life. Introduced me to true leaders, selfless, and compassionate, like  Pastor Brooks . It led me to my faith. And maybe, most importantly, it led me to question my faith and confront the struggle between things I was taught, and what I knew in my heart about Jesus. And this, ultimately, brought me to a place where I live freely and bravely, trying to love unconditionally as Jesus loves.  I couldn't find a video of the song to share. But I did find this poem, which I believe are the lyrics of the song, or at least very similar. The author is unknown. Some would gather money Along the path of life Some would gather r