Skip to main content

Magical Moment 495, "Betsy Ross"

Today is Flag Day, as well as the birthday of the U.S. Army. I found this pencil drawing that I did back in high school, the date on the back is February 12, 2001 (thanks mom for keeping all my old crap and forcing me to take it back someday). I drew this before thoughts of serving in the Army ever entered my mind, but love of country was always there.

I like to draw, though I've never done anything more ambitious than simple pencil drawings like this one. I also recall looking off a picture out of a magazine to guide me, but I can't remember the original artist (so if anyone out there knows...). I think it was originally a painting, and the ladies were inside a cabin of some sort.


Betsy Ross helped during the American Revolutionary War to repair uniforms and make tents for the Continental Army. She is credited with creating the first American Flag. Even at a very young age, I remember feeling very proud to see and hear about a woman who contributed so much to history, and also feeling disappointed that history didn't name more of them. I know they were there.

So Happy Flag Day! And Happy Birthday, U.S Army!  
Fly your flag proudly, and show your love for country - whichever country that may be!


~~~

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
oh, that's a beautiful drawing! how wonderful that your mom saved it so it could live to tell another tale! :)
Elizabeth! You're a woman of many talents. That drawing is lovely, and your mother was very wise to keep it. What other treasures do you have lying around?
Rick said…
Nice work, Elizabeth ! Another side of your creativity.

I still have a drawer full of 'stuff' our kids made, from way back. Some day they'll probably go through it and toss it, but for now we remember and smile.

Happy flag day (ours is Feb. 15).
Anonymous said…
Wow, you are one multi-talented lady ... We don't have a "flag day" in South Africa, although flags are flown, swung, and waved with much gusto at soccer and rugby matches almost weekly.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Gather Children

I remember a song being sung when I was a young girl. It was called, "I Would Gather Children." I heard it in the independent baptist church where I was raised. And while I have long since left the baptist denomination, I remain thankful for that particular church's presence in my life. It gave me ties and relationships that have lasted my entire life. Introduced me to true leaders, selfless, and compassionate, like  Pastor Brooks . It led me to my faith. And maybe, most importantly, it led me to question my faith and confront the struggle between things I was taught, and what I knew in my heart about Jesus. And this, ultimately, brought me to a place where I live freely and bravely, trying to love unconditionally as Jesus loves.  I couldn't find a video of the song to share. But I did find this poem, which I believe are the lyrics of the song, or at least very similar. The author is unknown. Some would gather money Along the path of life Some would gather r