Friday, September 2, 2011

Magical Moment 574, "Stinkin' Lincoln"

I was born and raised in Lincoln, NE...as were both my parents...as were my grandparents. For the record, I love my hometown, but there are times when a Lincolnite wonders, "Will I ever get out of here?" My dad is one of those Lincolnites. My dad kind of reminds me of George Bailey in the movie It's a Wonderful Life, whose ambition is too big for his city, but whose circumstances won't let him leave.

A while ago, I read a post at Gary's Third Pottery Blog about some novelty mugs he created for a city in New York called Groton with the words "Rotten Groton" on them. I thought it was hilarious because my dad for as long as I can remember has referred to Lincoln as "Stinkin Lincoln." Gary was kind enough to create a special mug just for my dad. And to top it all off....Gary is originally from Lincoln, NE! It was a mug meant to be! 

My dad called me today to say he was enjoying a cup of coffee out of his new mug. He's been working non stop overtime lately, and it felt great to give him something he could smile about for a bit. I love Stinkin Lincoln and always will, but what makes it so special, is my family is there!

Check out more of Gary's amazing work!



~~~
Some of my favorite hometown posts:






10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that is a GREAT gift!!! laughing!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

HEY! It got there quick! Thanks sooooooo much for presenting my work and links and for making the order, hilarious! You and your dad are the very best :)

Kim @ Stuff could... said...

I love this "stinkin Lincoln" idea and mug!

Linda said...

What a nice gift for your dad, and what a clever talent Gary has. So cute.

Hilary said...

I've been reading and enjoying Gary's pottery blog for years now and it seems to me he always has happy and loyal customers. That's sweet of him to do that for you. Fun stuff.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

gee whiz, thanks everybody!

ds said...

How wonderful. Great mug, great gift, great "saying"!

Susan in the Boonies said...

Blogging worlds collide!!!

I feel like y'alls blogs have been fooling around behind my back in the computer, and been fruitful and multiplied, as it were.

:-D

Busy Bee Suz said...

Gary is awesome!!!!!!!

laughwithusblog said...

I love it!