Skip to main content

Magical Moment 286, "The Decision to Stay"

My Great-Grandma (top right) and 9 of her 10 children

“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man [or woman] stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, [s]he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”
-Robert Francis Kennedy

I watched a single rain droplet slide off an orange leaf, and into a giant puddle that formed on the sidewalk. The puddle flowed into a crevice in the pavement and created a stream of rainwater that made its way down a muddy hill and trickled into a creek below. I watched the waves and ripples spread like an outstretched hand until I lost track of which one came from where. I wonder if that first drop knew what it would become a part of.

My maternal grandmother is the most patriotic person I’ve ever known. She is the human embodiment of yellow ribbons, American flags, military parades, and Ray Charles singing “America the Beautiful.” Though her blood is 100% Mexican, her heart is 100% American.

There is possibly one other person who has ever existed, that has more passion for the U.S. of A than my Granny, though I never had the pleasure of meeting them. Maria Loreto Alonzo Valencia, her mother. I’ve only heard stories of her, making tortillas from scratch, hanging clothes out on the line, and learning English. And with my own pale skin, green eyes, and freckles, her amazing story of immigration seems as far away and fictional to me, as a movie on the big screen.

She was from Leon Granojuato, Mexico and married Francisco Cohenete Valencia from Michoacan, Mexico. Together they moved to America and had 10 children (my grandma being the second youngest). They ended up in Lincoln Nebraska of all places, in a narrow 2-story house where my Grandma lives to this day. In an unfortunate accident with the Union Pacific Railroad, where Francisco worked, he was blinded and decided to return to his Mexican village. And this is where Mrs. Valencia never ceases to amaze me, even decades after her passing. For when I think of courage, ambition, and hope, I think of this. She decided to stay.

Before the convenient help of the internet, support groups, daycare, or washing machines, she chose to remain here with little education, in a foreign country, as a single mother of 10. Why? I don’t know. I wish I could ask her, interview her. But using my deductive reasoning skills, I can only conclude that she loved her children more than anything in the world, and wanted to give them every opportunity to succeed. She fell in love with this country and became a volunteer and activist in her community. I’ve even heard it said that she is credited with getting Peach Street paved, the street they lived on. She became a naturalized citizen in 1943, her 2 sons became World War II Veterans, and the rest of her children followed in her patriotic footsteps, a trait I never scientifically believed could be inherited, but in this case must be.

One day, I saw my grandma gaze upon a framed picture of her dear mother that hangs on the old walls of her childhood home. She looked at it with such pride, love, and admiration, and still refers to her as "Mama." That’s when I realized I may never know just how remarkable of a person Maria Loreto Alonzo Valencia truly was, but somehow, there is a piece of her in me, my sisters, my cousins, their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren…. Her hard work, turmoil, heartache was not in vain. I would never exist, never have the privilege of knowing my grandma, my husband. I become overwhelmed when I begin to think about all the people and lives affected, and I will forever be appreciative and thankful for this one woman’s brave decision to stay. 

Comments

Dawn said…
This is a wonderful story....a history to be proud of and cherished.
It's wonderful to look back and realize that one person and a decision they made, has brought you up to the point where you are. An overwhelming and powerful thought.
Makes you wonder what decisions we make day to day ....how it will affect those who follow us....

Thanks for sharing a part of your past.
:)
Cheryl Kohan said…
I agree with Dawn...it's a wonderful story. These are the kinds of memories that need to be shared so thanks for sharing!
Thank you Dawn and Cheryl for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed a little bit of my family history.
laughwithusblog said…
Fascinating! I had forgotten that ya'll had some Mexican roots. No wonder I like you guys so much! ;)
Eddie said…
Her decision was a pretty good one for me too, because I don't know where I'd be without Elizabeth. Thank you, Maria Loreto Alonzo Valencia.
Esther, you would never know by looking at us, huh? Thanks we like you too!
What a great family history! Is your Grandma in the picture?
Valerie, yep, she is in the front row in the yellow bonnet!
Unknown said…
My boyfriend found your story when his brother told him about it. He read it and said that when he was little, he was told the story of Francisco Cohenete Valencia and about what happened to him at the railroad. My boyfriend's last name is also Cohenete and is also from a small village in Michoacan. He says that Francisco was his grandpa's uncle. He wanted to share his connection to this great story.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Gather Children

I remember a song being sung when I was a young girl. It was called, "I Would Gather Children." I heard it in the independent baptist church where I was raised. And while I have long since left the baptist denomination, I remain thankful for that particular church's presence in my life. It gave me ties and relationships that have lasted my entire life. Introduced me to true leaders, selfless, and compassionate, like  Pastor Brooks . It led me to my faith. And maybe, most importantly, it led me to question my faith and confront the struggle between things I was taught, and what I knew in my heart about Jesus. And this, ultimately, brought me to a place where I live freely and bravely, trying to love unconditionally as Jesus loves.  I couldn't find a video of the song to share. But I did find this poem, which I believe are the lyrics of the song, or at least very similar. The author is unknown. Some would gather money Along the path of life Some would gather r