Skip to main content

Magical Moment 218, "One World Trade Center"

I don’t think the anniversary of 9/11 should feel like a storm brewing. Unfortunately, on this eve of the 9th anniversary, that’s exactly what it feels like. I suppose it has something to do with this being my first 9/11 in this area, about 25 minutes from where the World Trade Centers fell. The drama of the proposed Islamic Center and Koran burning has taken over not only the national news, but every local TV and radio station as well. The wind has picked up outside. The trees are swaying uneasily in the gray, cloudy sky as we brace ourselves for the chaos, protests, and rallies that will surely ensue tomorrow on the sacred ground where so many people lost their lives.

It has become the “where were you” question of my generation. I was asleep. A freshman at UNL, my classes that day didn’t start until 11 so I slept late when my dad abruptly woke me and told me to watch the news. Against my parent’s wishes, I went to class that morning on the city bus. Of course, no one could concentrate on anything. One of my professors even broke down in tears mid-lecture. It was surreal, unbelievable, unthinkable, yet it happened. And here, the memories of that day are all too fresh and painful. My neighbor still has respiratory problems after going into the city days after the attack. I’ve heard stories of how the dust, rubble, and smell made its way across the Hudson and settled dozens of miles out.

And sadly, the memory of those lost is being overshadowed by drama, controversy, and division. Tomorrow, perhaps I would have taken the bus to Ground Zero to pensively remember that day. But I only feel disgust because I know that 2 groups have scheduled protests, and a “Christian” preacher has threatened to, in terrorist like fashion, portray hypocrisy, disrespect, and hate that would surely break Jesus’s heart. The NYPD will be there, on full alert, not because of the threat of outside terrorist, but because of the predicted local dispute that may escalate to danger or violence.

Since I won’t visit in person tomorrow, I decided to do a little research on the progress of the memorial’s construction site. I’ve walked by the gaping hole in lower Manhattan often enough, but haven’t really learned the details of the future building. It will actually be one large building, rather than two towers, and when finished, will be the tallest building in America. A park will be adjacent to the One World Trade Center, where the largest man-made waterfall will be constructed along with a 9/11 museum. And below, will be one enormous transportation hub, connecting subways, trains, and ferries. As for the progress of construction, workers say they complete one floor of the One World Trade Center every 7 to 8 days, and right now they have roughly 30 floors complete. 

This information encourages me and makes me optimistic in light of the gathering storm I fear will blow tomorrow. Although the process takes time and encounters many obstacles, it’s getting there. And when complete, it will be stronger and more beautiful than ever. Symbolic in so many ways. I encourage everyone to think about that tomorrow.


Take a moment to watch this video about the details of the One World Trade Center and memorial construction project. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone
to do it for you? Plz answer back as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. many thanks

my homepage - garcinia cambogia

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi