Skip to main content

Magical Moment 509, "A Smile from Song"

One undeniable truth about music, is that the simplest melody or lyric has the power to conjure up a flood of memories and emotions. Nowhere is this more evident, than in an intimate hospital room, where the charity organization Sing for Hope reaches out to patients through music.

Five volunteer performers met in a NYC hospital for the first time last night, to visit patients, room to room, and provide a bedside song for them. This was my third time and I knew to expect many smiles, stories, and maybe even a few tears.

Some musicians are brave enough to perform a song acapella. I'm not one of them. Neither am I a great guitarist, but I bring it anyway. It's no piano, but at least it's something to hide behind. I have a few songs I do on guitar, and it seems to be enough of a selection to accommodate what the patient might want to hear.

We entered an older woman's room. She was lying in her bed with who appeared to be her daughter standing next to her. Both were in great spirits and very welcoming of the traveling troupe that had just invaded her tiny room. I don't know why, but I thought they might like to hear the song, "Edelweiss." When I asked them if that would be okay, both nodded an exuberant yes. 

The daughter squealed with delight. "I LOVE that song! My daughter's name is Liesel! My password to everything is Edelweiss!" 
I couldn't stop smiling as I played for the 2 grateful ladies, and my smile got even wider when they both joined in. I'm no Julie Andrews, but we were all beaming at the sound of music and the joy it brings.

~~~
Other hospital visits:

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
oh that is kismet! you picked up on their spirit and gave them wings!
Anonymous said…
I love Edelweiss. Great pick! I love that you are doing this. Where I worked for years, they decided to hire a harpist to play everyday while slowing strolling through the halls. It wasn't always received very well and alot of people kidded about patients hearing a harp but I think they were on the right idea.
Unknown said…
That IS a magical moment!

Awesome picture of you as well!
laughwithusblog said…
Oh this just gave me chills!
Eddie said…
I think Travel Nurse is right. Music can be healing, but it has to be personal. A harpist up and down the hallway is the same as a radio. But when a beautiful young woman (like my wife) comes into your room and smiles and sings, it has the potential to be a much more uplifting and healing event. I am proud of you, Elizabeth.
So sweet. I'm so glad to know there are people who do this sort of thing and do it with a genuine love for the people they are ministering to. The photo doesn't look like it was taken in a nursing home, though. Was this another "gig"?
Linda, yes the picture is from something else, just one that I found of my guitar.
Robin said…
Wonderful that you can use your amazing talent in this way...
Daryl said…
When ToonMan was in hospital this past winter he was serenaded by strolling musicians, I had no idea they were from Sing for Hope .. and who knows maybe you were one of them!
Rick said…
A heartwarming post, Elizabeth ! A number of years ago we went caroling at seniors' homes - the reaction was amazing as many of them joined in.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le

Magical Moment 606, "Thank You Canada!"

After an intense week as a participant in the  Musician's Mentorship Program  with Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto, I am back in the good ol' US of A. The trip was a success, not only did I learn a TON in the program, but I got to see Canada for the first time, increasing my number of countries visited to 3! (Mexico and South Korea, if you're wondering about the other 2). I was surrounded by incredibly talented musicians who didn't hesitate to dish out their best advice, tips, and secrets to me. In addition, I was surrounded by some beautiful scenery and amazing sights. The trip got even better when Eddie flew out to meet me half way through the week, and even BETTER when I was able to meet up with a friend, known only through the blogosphere until now. Yes ladies and gentlemen,  Hilary of The Smitten Image  herself happens to live only minutes from where I resided in Toronto. I admit, it was a little like meeting a celebrity. I first "met" Hi