Skip to main content

Magical Moment 426, "Progress"

One of the last and most challenging things in recording my album with Modern Vintage Recordings, is the vocal tracking. It's difficult to explain the complexity that goes into singing each word, each consonant, each vowel, drawing a breath a certain way, creating a certain tone, a certain vibrato, all while trying to make the song sound fluid and cohesive. It's a lot to think about and has certainly been an eye opening experience for me. That microphone is more like a microscope, that magnifies every flaw inaudible to the naked ear. It's quite exhausting. So it's taken me longer than expected to find my groove in the process. But I'm happy to say that we've completed 2 of the 10 tracks now. 

This is a rough audio of the completed "Mary's Lullaby." There is no mixing, no auto-tuning, and no re-verb on my lead and background vocals. But this is it. After the producers work their magic, I think this is going to be an amazing track. I am especially in love with the amazing job the instrumentalist did on the double bass, drums, banjo, and mandolin. There is a short instrumental solo in the middle. Enjoy the clip.



Comments

Dawn said…
Simply beautiful!
Deborah said…
Absolutely beautiful and your voice is just gorgeous on it ... I really loved it!
I like the way a guy described your voice :) in the video....Beautiful
kim
MaggieGem said…
Fabulous work! Love this, you have a fantastic voice. This is truly magical!
Thank you all for taking the time to listen and comment. This first completed vocal track is a big step for me and I'm so excited!

Kim, that voice is Jason Cummings, one of the audio engineers I've been working with.

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Moment 620, "Lilac Garden"

Eddie and I visited the Lilac Gardens at Ringwood Manor in New Jersey, a pristine and beautiful state park with 8 species of lilacs and several varieties within. We went on a rainy afternoon, which turned out perfect because the rain stopped for us when we got there, and began again as soon as we left. It also decorated the plants with gorgeous rain drops, adding to their beauty.  And now for a quick game of "Where's Elizabeth?" And "Where's Eddie?" ~~Have a great weekend! ~~

Magical Moment 625, "Thailand - the Elephants"

Needless to say, my favorite part of our Thailand vacation, was our week long volunteering at  Elephant Nature Park ! The logging industry was banned in Thailand in 1989, leaving thousands of elephants unemployed. These elephants are now used for tourism. You may have heard of elephant shows featuring the animals playing soccer or painting pictures with their trunks. They are no doubt amazing to watch, but the sad truth is that these elephants have gone through a series of torture and abuse to "break their spirit" by their trainers. This short clip is very hard to watch, but it will give you an idea of what the elephants in captivity in the country of Thailand go through. The only elephants in Thailand who do  not  endure this, are the very few baby elephants who are first generation born in "safe captivity" at places like Elephant Nature Park. Every other elephant at this park has been brutally abused. Some have been blinded by their owners, le...

Magical Moment 611, "Great is Your Reward"

Certain sounds and smells can bring to mind a long forgotten memory. For me, certain Bible verses can conjure up a memory, long, but not so forgotten. If you grew up like me, in a private Christian school, attending Sunday School, Awanas, and Vacation Bible School regularly, you're an expert at quoting Scripture. I laugh in the face of Bible "Sword Drill." I can find a Scripture reference in 3 seconds or less. When other's have to think to themselves the sequential order, "Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians..." I'm already at I Thessalonians. It's like growing up bi-lingual. The skill is just there. This morning, I read the first 3 words of a verse, and then finished it quickly by memory. Like the pledge of allegiance, it was automatic. "Trust in the Lord... ...With all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6 When I finished, I ...